🌐 What Is Web3?
Web3 refers to a decentralized online ecosystem based on the blockchain, and we're moving quickly into a new era of big Web3-based products in production. This technology aims to give users ownership and control of their data.
Implementations for non-niche use cases are rapidly growing. For example:
- DeFi (decentralized finance): Holders can lend liquidity to a network to generate income, to borrow, to create algorithmic stablecoins, and more.
- E-Commerce: There is increasing interest in accepting crypto-assets as payment, and several major retailers already support it.
- Community Empowerment: Web3 applies this principle by giving control of a service, project, or tool to its community, and/or giving incentives to regular customers – for example, via smart contracts or tokens.
- Gaming: A Web3-based gaming economy overhaul is well underway, particularly with the appearance of Play2earn, valuing and/or remunerating an active player and their in-game assets.
- NFTs: Both ridiculed and revered for the sheer quantity of capital they've moved, their potential has only been superficially recognized. (To date, the bubble is purely speculative, as these “works” will quickly lose liquidity if they do not allow access to desirable features, services, or offers for their owners.)
The majority of these technologies, and the hype surrounding them, are very young. Yet the Web3 ecosystem is extremely productive (particularly in France, as our luck would have it!).
💼 Manfred’s Experience
- 2021-NOW → Primary focus on Web3 (professionally and in life)
- Current favorite ecosystem: Cosmos (Juno, Secret Network, Osmosis) ❤️
- Building a DAO for Berty
- Exploring Web3, crypto, and dApps as a maker and ecosystem collaborator (learn & share)
- Planning to join existing ecosystems, create new ones, and open the one I’m already involved in
- 2018-2021 → Built Berty with a focus on NOT depending on any blockchain, though incorporating many of its strengths (P2P, Cryptography).
- Created Paris P2P meetups
- Advisor for SkillZ, a French blockchain infrastructure company with amazing people <3
➡️ More info on moula.tech
- 2012-2018 → Toe-dipping. Skin in the game with small successes and memorable failures (early mining in 2010, a stolen wallet, etc...)
💡 How I Can Help
I can dig deep into the potential for Web3 in your project, even if you’re unfamiliar with the territory.
The solid outlines of a Web3 foundation have yet to emerge, but its decentralized nature provides the basis to power the next generation of the World Wide Web. If you’re as inspired by these developments as I am, I’m happy to help you decide if and how to integrate Web3 innovations into your business.